Orthomolecular Medicine in Taiwan
In March 18, 2017, Dr. Atsuo Yanagisawa (centre), President of ISOM, was invited to the educational seminar of intravenous orthomolecular nutrition therapy held in Taichung, a city of Taiwan. This seminar was organized by Dr. Clive Chen (2nd from left), one of the leaders of orthomolecular medicine in Taiwan. Dr. Yanagisawa presented intravenous vitamin C and nutrition therapy in chronic disease, including cancer, radiation, and HPV vaccine side effect.
In Memoriam: Jack Challem (1950 – 2017)
Jack Challem, a long-time friend of Orthomolecular Medicine, died on April 13th 2017. Known as The Nutrition Reporter™, Jack was a personal nutrition coach and one of America’s most trusted health writers. He was a member of the American Society for Nutrition and the best-selling author of more than 20 books, including No More Fatigue, Stop Prediabetes Now, The Food- Mood Solution, The Inflammation Syndrome, Feed Your Genes Right, and Syndrome X. Jack was a columnist for the journal Alternative & Complementary Therapies, and served on the editorial board of the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine. His scientific articles appeared in Free Radical Biology & Medicine, Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, Medical Hypotheses, and others. He wrote the highly regarded The Nutrition Reporter™ newsletter as well as articles for many publications in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom, including Alternative Medicine, Better Nutrition, Body & Soul, Experience Life, Let’s Live, Modern Maturity, Natural Solutions, and WellBella. Jack was a frequent speaker at nutritional medicine conferences, including the Orthomolecular Medicine Today Conference, and to consumer health groups.
Report from Spain by Dr. Marco Antonio Chover
- IV Congress of Advances in Cellular Nutrition and Orthomolecular Medicine in June 2016, with nearly 300 MD attendees.
- There is a postgraduate of Psychoneuroinmunoendocrinology (PNIE) course accredited by the University of Barcelona, where orthomolecular medicine classes are given.
- There is a new society of orthomolecular medicine, the “Sociedad Española de Nutrición y Medicina Ortomolecular” (SENMO). Last year was the first congress and the last weekend of March 2017 was the II International Conference.
- There is other new society of integrative medicine, the “Sociedad Española de Salud y Medicina Integrativa”. They would like to start congress, which includes orthomolecular medicine, in 2018.
- The “Asociación Española de Médicos Naturistas” organizes every year a congress, which includes speakers about orthomolecular medicine. This year will be the 36th edition of the congress.
- The “Sociedad Española de Medicina Antienvejecimiento y Longevidad” organizes every year an International Congress which includes oral and intravenous orthomolecular therapies. Last October was the 15th International Congress of Anti-Aging Medicine.
- We have organized a two day course of Metabolic Correction Therapy about Cancer, Infectious and Neurometabolic Diseases in Valencia next May 2018 with Jorge R. Miranda-Massari from the University of Puerto Rico. We contact them because they gave a precongress course in the last Congress of advances in cellular nutrition and orhomolecular medicine in June 2016.
- We organize courses about probiotics, improving immunity, sport medicine for MD and pharmacists in different parts of Spain, including Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, and Sevilla.
There is a “witch hunt” by the media with manipulation of information saying that there are no scientific publications of orthomolecular medicine, referring to it as a “pseudo science”. We are not aware of this situation in other parts of Europe. So we think and hope that this situation is transitory.